Miss L's Story
Miss L, aged 3, was burnt in April 2013 when she went into the kitchen to say goodnight to one of her parents who was cooking.
A series of uncharacteristic events led to a freshly poured mug of black coffee being left on the kitchen table. No one in the house drinks black coffee and we never usually leave them on the dining table.
The second she went into the kitchen she must have gone to pick up the mug, which would have been both too hot and too heavy for her to hold. One parent was just a step away from her cooking and the other in the lounge and shouted to let the other parent know that Miss L was on her way in.
The first we knew was when she screamed a scream that we had never heard before.
Being first aid trained, her dad immediately ran upstairs to the shower with her and got in with her.
She was wearing a poppers vest and trousers and when we took the vest off we saw the extent of the burns. We brought her out of the shower to phone the ambulance and I held her with a wet tea towel, then as instructed by the 999 team we wrapped her loosely in cling film until the paramedic arrived.
She was initially taken to the local hospital who immediately on arrival gave her morphine which calmed her down. We were then sent on to Morriston Hospital, the Welsh Centre for Burns and Plastic Surgery where we received excellent treatment and after-care following a 4 day in-patient stay.
After 2 years of applying creams and high factor sun cream she has healed fantastically.
“I want to be able to help other parents to see that not only do these things happen, but that recovery happens too.” Miss L’s mother.
FIRST AID ADVICE
FROM THE BRITISH BURN ASSOCIATION
1. COOL the burn with running cold tap water for
20 minutes and remove all clothing
and jewellery (unless it is melted
or firmly stuck to the wound).
2. CALL for help: 999, 111 or local GP for advice.
3. COVER with cling film or a sterile, non-fluffy
dressing or cloth.
Make sure the patient is kept warm.